Wednesday, November 7, 2012

be kind


A few weeks ago I had a really quick shoot with my sister for my portrait assignment. She is super talented. This is her last semester! I'm so excited for her. She graduates in business marketing. 

Yesterday I got a chance to be one of the models for the portrait photography class. It was different to be on the other side of the camera with so many photographers. I enjoyed seeing how each photographer directed me. Each photographer is at a different level. If you're not feeling confident in what you're photographing it definitely shows and can make the person in front of the camera feel uncomfortable. I would much rather be behind the camera making people feel pretty, telling them kind things to make them smile and feel confident. It was kinda nice to be on the other side;) Kindness is probably the key personality trait for photographers to have.
I had been hoping that going to this and seeing students that are ahead of me in their schooling would help reassure me that getting education in photography is necessary. My favorite photographers didn't study photography in college, such as Liz , Jalene, and Kristen. Today basically everyone is a photographer, which I think is great! There are so many options for people to choose from. If you like the over edited look it's really easy to find. I personally strive to have my photographs look realistic, natural, and timeless. I figure a degree in art will only be beneficial. The portrait professor told me that I would never make a living studying photography, but I'm hoping I won't have to be the provider for my family. I do photography because I love it. Angie Monson had people tell her the same thing, but she does make a living doing what she loves. Ignore what people tell you and do what you want. Don't let people effect what you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment